The blog for the Twinning in Action project 2014-2016 organised by CADFA www.cadfa.org

Wednesday 22 April 2015

A VIP treated at the airport



My name is Nadeen, I am from Jerusalem and I am a new EVS  volunteer here in London .
This is my first day working at the office .
Being a Palestinian from Jerusalem means that you have no nationality, you hold an Israeli travel document with Jordanian as a nationality written on it. Despite this, I am not Jordanian, I am not Israeli, this means that you will have a VIP treatment at Ben-Gurion airport .
Three times of checking at least, 3 hours an a half, so many questions and to be surrounded by 5 security men and a physical checking before getting on the plane, one of the most offensive and humiliating checks ever, and for a moment while two Israeli girls were checking me in a private room I wanted to go back to Jerusalem.  I felt like they were trying to humiliate me as much as they can especially with the physical machine,they checked my hair only because I am a Palestinian girl. I had to step into a machine and put my hands in the air, it was as if I was being arrested, despite the fact that I am a trainee lawyer in the Israeli court system. It was one of worst experiences that I had had even though  I had traveled many times before outside my country. When I asked the security man what's wrong and why are you checking me so much, he said "we are treating you  very well, don't worry, we are treating you as a VIP person ".
If I was a Jew they would not even check my suitcase, they would do the usual thing and only they put the suitcase inside the machine and that's it. So there is a huge gap between the written law and the implementation in real life  . 
The first article we learn about Israeli law is that " Israel is a Jewish and democratic state for everyone " . 
but I have had  a totally different experience despite the fact that I am a Jerusalemite .

Nadeen




  

No comments:

Post a Comment